HIGHLAND LAKEs SERVICE LEAGUE
Dates of Note:
• 2/16 Grand Opening of Aqua ponics at Science Mill 10am – 5 pm
• 2/16 Update on Flood Recovery at Lakeshore Church, 2pm
• 3/3 HLSL Mardi Gras Get – together 3/8 Special Needs prom
• 3/9 HLSL Special Projects Day
• 3/23 Elder Care Project
• 3/30 Purse Bingo – Hill Country Advocacy Center
• 4/27 “For Ladies Only” Charity Golf Tournament (HLSL)
• 4/27 Golf Tournament Homeless Project by Highland Lakes Haven
• 5/1 Meals on Wheels Style show
Suzanne Rankins gave the inspirational story about leadership. Susan Butcher knew that sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow, and that’s what makes a team story of an Iditarod team. Even though one of her dogs was small he ended up leading the team to victory.
Dr. Roy Norman, DO Cardiology, Cardiovascular Disease in Women gave a presentation on the danger of heart disease in women and how it can be controlled and prevented. Heart Disease is the #1 killer of women and often has vague symptoms. (if you would like the slide presentation to review let me know and I can send it to you PB)
January Auction/Dinner – Wanda Kauffman and Darlene Hargett gave a check to Carolyn for $25,166.11. All of us helped make the dinner/auction a huge success. She thanked everyone and recognized her team, decorations committee, publicity, money handlers, auction donations, powerpoint guru, and Picayune which ran an ad thanking our sponsors.
Bonnie Baskins, Co-Founder of the Science Mill gave a presentation showing the activities and programs featured at the Science Mill in Johnson City. Their newest program is an aquaponics garden.
Golf Committee – Deb Bennett and Judy Salvaggio announced the packets for registration and flyers were ready for the golf tournament on April 27th. She encouraged all of us to form teams for the second part of our fund raiser for scholarships and grants.